History of Long Neck
Baywood Greens is located in the beautiful waterfront area of Long Neck, DE. Long Neck is a 2.5 square mile peninsula bordered by the Rehoboth and Indian River bays and set between Millsboro and Rehoboth Beach. The area is well known for its golf courses and water access, as Long Neck is virtually surrounded by water and home to a number of marinas. The best part of life in Long Neck is its small town America feel, supported by the town’s deeply rooted heritage and treasured past.
The Long Neck
Early European settlers and Native American tribes alike were attracted to the Long Neck area by the land’s high elevation, close proximity to the Atlantic Ocean and beautiful bays full of fish and shellfish, known today as the Rehoboth and Indian River bays. European settlers in particular were attracted to the Long Neck area by the ocean access for easy shipping and travel.
In 1677 Governor Edmund Andross gave William Burton 1,000 acres of “the Long Neck”. William Burton and his 11 sons continued to acquire the rest of the peninsula’s land to complete the area now known as the town of Long Neck, DE. The Burton family has remained in Long Neck to this day; in fact, some of the family still lives in the home originally built by their ancestor Woolsey Burton decades earlier!
The Indian River Hundred
The Indian River Hundred was created in 1706 from its parent hundred, the Lewes & Rehoboth Hundred. The term hundred originated in England, and is defined as the division of a county. Though the exact definition is still debated today, it has been said that a hundred was determined as an area that contained 100 families, was able to raise an army of 100 men, or fit 100 farms. The state of Maryland was the first state to utilize this term in the United States, and used hundreds to define voting districts and areas for tax reporting purposes until the 1960s. Today, Delaware is the only state that continues to utilize this term.
Long Neck’s Expansion
Over the following two centuries, additional families joined the Burtons on the Long Neck peninsula. By the early 1900s, Long Neck had established a number of community services - such as schools, churches and a post office - on the peninsula before many nearby towns did. These advances were a bit ironic, as the town had not yet developed roads.
Isolated No Longer
Up until the middle of the 20th century, Long Neck had been rather isolated from the rest of Delaware. However, in the 1950s and 1960s, the government built better roads, highways and bridges in Long Neck, which greatly helped the town’s accessibility to the outside world.
Massey’s Landing, a treasured scenic spot set at the eastern tip of Long Neck, has been known throughout Delaware’s history as one of the most isolated places in the state. Massey’s Landing was primarily visited by fishermen and duck hunters prior to the 1950s and 1960s when it became more accessible with Long Neck’s improved roads and bridges, as Massey’s Landing is on Long Neck’s northern shore. Today, Massey’s Landing is home to a public boat ramp and fishing pier, among other attractions.
The Long Neck of Today
Today, Long Neck is renowned for its unparalleled quiet, natural coastal beauty. Though the town is still rather small, it has blossomed into a thriving seaside community that Baywood Greens is proud to call home. Visit Baywood Greens today to experience the beauty of our community, rich with amenities and classic new homes!
SOURCES: www.beach-net.com, delaware.gov, visitnjshore.com